From the Front:
- request a Stand at FOSDEM organizers - done
- find out exact dimensions - same as last year
- update the plan - one half is GNUstep, the other one is Ogo
- determine final size and number of posters we can place - no posters
Merchandise and Give-Away
Plans for merchanidize have been given up. There may be some Give-Aways (brochures).
|T-Shirt||x EUR||20 L, 20 XL||tbd||what is a fair price? http://www.cafepress.com/buy/gnustep/ http://www.cafepress.com/GNUSTEPU|
|Mouse Pad||x EUR||tbd||tbd||what is a fair price?|
|Live CD Photo||5 EUR||100?||tbd||which version? http://www.linuks.mine.nu/gnustep/ http://xlivecd.indiana.edu/|
|GNUstep brochure||free||200?||tbd||see download on Introduction_to_GNUstep|
|GNUstep booklet||free||200?||tbd||see download on Introduction_to_GNUstep|
- We have to define how many units of each we have produced and define a reasonable price.
- We could ask someone who already sells CDs and T-Shirts to give us some - and we return those that have not been sold.
Showing something and let people touch. We need permanently 2 persons to keep some eyes at the booth.
Currently available hardware for the demos:
|Linux PDA||Sharp Zaurus||N. Schaller||all the time||1xpower||confirmed|
|GNU/Linux||533Mhz/256Mb transmeta laptop||Saso Kiselkov||all the time||1xpower||confirmed|
|GNU/Linux / Windows||1.5Ghz laptop||Saso Kiselkov||not all the time||1xpower||personal laptop|
|MacOS X / Linux||ibook g3 600/384Mb||Nicolas Roard||all the time||1xpower||not sure I can bring it :-/|
|MacOS X / FreeBSD / Linux / Windows||macbook pro 2ghz/2Gb||Nicolas Roard||not all the time||1xpower||personal laptop|
Books to Show
We should have some Cocoa and Objective-C training books.
|Cocoa Programming||Anuish, Buck and Yacktman||Fred Kiefer|
|Cocoa in a nutshell||Michael Beam and James Duncan Davidson||Graham Lee|
|Programming in Objective-C||Stephen Kochan||Graham Lee|
|Objective-C, précis & Concis (french edition)||Andrew M. Duncan||Nicolas Roard|
|Cocoa Programming for MacOS X (1st edition)||Aaron Hillegass||Nicolas Roard|
|NeXTSTEP Programming||Simson L. Garfinkel and Michael K. Mahoney||Nicolas Roard|
|The NeXT book||Bruce F. Webser||Nicolas Roard|
|PostScript Language Reference||Adobe Inc., note: anybody interested ? else I might not take it :)||Nicolas Roard|
|Programming the Display PostScript System with NeXTstep||Adobe Inc., note: anybody interested ? else I might not take it :)||Nicolas Roard|
|OpenStep for Enterprises||Nancy Craighill, note: anybody interested ? else I might not take it :)||Nicolas Roard|
|GNUstep banner||2m x 30cm?||tbd||Resued from last year|
Who will attend the meeting
One of the main reasons people attend the meeting is that you can meet, and talk directly to, other developers, whom you would otherwise meet only virtually (on mailing lists, emails, newsgroups, IRC etc.). We expect many lead developers and contributors to be present, so if you have never met them, you shouldn't miss this occasion!
The following is a list of people of GNUstep fame who have confirmed (or denied) that they will be able to join us at the GNUstep meeting at FOSDEM 2007:
|Gerold Rupprecht||yes||x||x||Sponsor Saturday dinner|
If you plan to join us at the meeting, please let us know here in the wiki (or send a mail to nicolas [at] roard com, I will add you). Knowing how many people will attend will help in organizing the event, and will encourage other people to join.
If you don't have write access on the wiki and you want it, you need to create an account and send a mail with your user name to webmasters [AT] gnustep.org to request it.
Who is at the booth
We should have teams of 2 plus one volunteer for fall-back if someone can't attend at all. And, please be there!
|Day||Time Slot||First Name||Second Name||Fall-back|
|Sa. Feb 24, 2007||14:00 - 16:00||N.N.||N.N.||N.N.|
|16:00 - 18:00||N.N.||N.N.||N.N.|
|18:00 - 18:30||tear down|
|Su. Feb 25, 2007||09:00 - 10:00||Set-up by all responsible|
|10:00 - 12:00||N.N.||N.N.||N.N.|
|12:00 - 14:00||N.N.||N.N.||N.N.|
|14:00 - 16:00||N.N.||N.N.||N.N.|
|16:00 - 18:00||N.N.||N.N.||N.N.|
|18:00 - 18:30||tear down|
The room at out disposal will be AW1.115 (capacity is 31 seats), - - Saturday: 14:00 -> 19:00 - - Sunday: 09:00 -> 18:00
Note that on Saturday, it is not possible to use the room before 14:00 as university courses are being held in all rooms until then. For that reason the schedule starts at 14:15, and will end at 19:00 on Saturday (instead of 18:00)
|Sa. Feb 24, 2007||14:15 - 15:00||Nicola Pero||GNUstep development tools: GNUstep-make|
|15:00 - 16:00||Sašo Kiselkov||GNUstep development tools: Project Manager IDE|
|16:00 - 18:00||Oliver Langer, Helge Hess||Developer Workshop: What to do with 3rd Party Solutions within the GNUstep Community?|
|18:00 - 19:00|
|Sun. Feb 25, 2007||12:00 - 13:00||Nikolaus Schaller||GNUstep on embedded Devices e.g. Zaurus or Mobile Phones|
|13:00 - 14:00||Helge Hess, Marcus Müller||Open Groupware: OGo / JOPE / SOPE|
|14:00 - 15:00||Nicolas Roard (Quentin Mathé)||Étoilé: a Desktop Environment|
|15:00 - 16:00||Matt Rice (tbc.)||GNUstep Database Library 2|
Note: Does anyone have a projector for the talks? The FOSDEM organisation will gives us one if needed, but having our own would be more convenient (if only to have a good one, remember last year)
Questions / To-Do List
- How to secure valuable devices? - there is a hadrware equipment insurance by FOSDEM - BUT ON REGISTRATION ONLY!
- How to collect payments? Who is treasurer?
- Request a Dev-Room - done
- Request additional presentation to the main audience - done (not avilable)
- Clarify size of booth tables, posters with FOSDEM organizers - same as last year
- Clarify number and price of merchandise to create - none
- Define demonstrations - see above
- Define posters to show and confirmation - same as last year
- Who collects poster's PDFs and takes care of printing them? - not required
- Post a Call for Presentations/Demos/Posters/Volunteers' to news:gnu.gnustep.discuss - done: http://groups.google.de/group/gnu.gnustep.discuss/browse_frm/thread/72edf3ed1ab86119/?hl=de#
- Collect presentations - done
- Define presentations and get presenters' confirmations - done
- A. Fedor
- H. Hess
- N. Roard
- N. Schaller
- volunteers welcome!
Older Material/Thoughts (to be deleted when worked in)
- use Live CD - even re-released last version
- Perhaps some GNUstep merchandise, like GNUstep T-shirts, GNUstep mouse pads, GNUstep stickers, etc. Though I'm not sure we could easily afford these yet. Quickly lurking through the Internet, I calculated that 20 T-shirts come to around 60 EUR, 30 T-shirts to ~85 EUR, and 50 T-shirts around ~130 EUR.
- perform a [Survey]
Use several machines side-by side with:
- GNUstep with Camaelon, and perhaps the Etoile system
- some Apple hardware for showing that the same applications can run on GNUstep and OSX
- some Linux machine
- some BSD machine
- some x86 hardware to show that GNUstep is even available on Windows
- some other hardware (connected to the LCD we had) showing a presentation/video on GNUstep - something flashy, with sound and talk