GNUstep Installation Process
Stefan Urbanek, please modify whatever you see fit, even delete this page.
GNUstep installation process should be and could be as simple as "pkg-inst GNUstep-1.0" across GNUstep supported OS plaforms. Given GNUstep's cross-platform declaration on application development activities, so should the application mangement activies. But in oder to get there, following need to be done.
GNUstep package creation automation project.
- What ?: This is a project to digitilize the process of creating GNUstep environment for a perticular OS platform.
- Why ?:
- There are lots of time spent from experienced GNUsteppers to new GNUsteppers.
- Time should be spent on the GNUstep developement not on compling and packaging process.
- Install/remove GNUstep easily thus encourge the deployment of GNUstep in corporate environment.
- The pacakge creation process can be reproduced easliy by others with commands.
- Improve QA testing by making GNUstep instances quickly.
- Introduce CPAM(Cross-Platform Application Management) tool implemented by TWW Inc. to GNUstep CPAD community
- Cross-Platform is easier said then done becuase each platform's features are barriers for others.
- Release GNUstep package source implemented by TWW CPAM.
- I will release a working package source for others to try and review.
- The package soruces can generate native package format for RHAS rpm,Solaris pkgadd and HP-UX depot formats.
- Write tutorial on learning TWW CPAM.
- I am willing to help/assist a few persons to get familliar with TWW tools if they promise me to write up what they learned in a tutorial article. As you can see I am really not good on documenation work.
- Integrate GNUstep developement process with TWW CPAM.
- More details TBA once I get familiar with mediawiki.
- Following lines can be deleted later.
I just want to make above out of nohere text not treated as spam. My name is T.J. Yang(tj_yang at hotmail dot com), I have been working as a system administator and I am intrested to bring the work experience to work on this task. Please email me if you have comment/questions. For detail about TWW, please see http://www.thewrittenword.com, I have used their CPAM at work to bring cross-platform open-source software support nightmare under control. All the TWW tools and sources of their supported packages are GPL open-source free of charge but not their support labor.